>On Apr 13, 2006, at 10:48 PM, Stephen Bannasch wrote:
>
>>I'm having a problem installing rubygems-0.8.11 on my mac, I'm getting this error running:
>
>You're likely to get more help if you start a new thread instead of hijacking an existing one.  As is, a lot of people won't ever see your mail unless they open this thread.

Thanks for taking the time to point out the problem Caleb,

I hadn't realized that there were extra mail headers that are used by some clients to display message threads. In my email client the thread is constructed just using the subject line. I constructed my original message by replying to an existing message and changing the subject line.  The Reply-To header was ruby-talk / ruby-lang.org (which generates the correct To: header when I reply) however the In-Reply-To: still specified the original email (which gets passed along in my message).

This explains why when I view some of my messages in the mail list archive they don't appear in the thread they started -- and obviously also in the email client you use!

--
- Stephen Bannasch
  Concord Consortium, http://www.concord.org