Sorry - you have lost me!

I have downloaded the stable Nov 2005 version of Ruby 1.8.4
(http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=426&release_id=3332)

I have tried changing my PATH to use /usr/local/bin as that had another
copy of make (05/10/2002) in it (rather than the ccs make file -
13/09/1999!!)

I get the same error with both versions:

    egex.o  ruby.o  signal.o  sprintf.o  st.o  string.o  struct.o
time.o
    util.o  variable.o  version.o  flock.o isinf.o dmyext.o

    internal error: error_message(58)
    *** Error code 100
    make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `libruby-static.a'

Typing in: make LTFLAGS=' ' (recommended from one of the sites)
    make: Warning: Illegal dependency list for target `.DEFAULT'...
    ..eric.o  object.o  pack.o  parse.o  process.o  prec.o  random.o
range.o  re.o  regex.o  ruby.o  signal.o  sprintf.o  st.o  string.o
struct.o  time.o  util.o  variable.o  version.o  flock.o isinf.o
dmyext.o
  /usr/local/bin/gcc -g -O2  -DRUBY_EXPORT -I. -I. -c main.c
  /usr/local/bin/gcc main.o  libruby-static.a -ldl -lcrypt -lm   -o
miniruby -g -O
  2  -DRUBY_EXPORT
  ld: fatal: file miniruby: creation interrupted: No space left on
device
  collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
   *** Error code 1
  make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `miniruby'