Hello,

I hope this is not too off-topic, but after 2 days of googling and
trying everything possible that crossed my mind i have no idea what to
do/how to go on. I have double checked 10k times that i have every
package (gcc, mysql-* etc) and still nothing. My system is 32bit kubuntu
dapper running on an AMD64.

This i what i get:

peter@peter:$ sudo gem install mysql -- --include=/usr/local/lib
Password:

Attempting local installation of 'mysql'
Local gem file not found: mysql*.gem
Attempting remote installation of 'mysql'
*** extconf.rb failed ***
necessary libraries and/or headers. Check the mkmf.log file for more
details. You may need configuration options.

Provided configuration options:
--with-opt-dir
--without-opt-dir
--with-opt-include
--without-opt-include=${opt-dir}/include
--with-opt-lib
--without-opt-lib=${opt-dir}/lib
--with-make-prog
--without-make-prog
--srcdir=.
--curdir
--ruby=/usr/bin/ruby1.8
--with-mysql-config
--without-mysql-config
--with-mysql-dir
--without-mysql-dir
--with-mysql-include
--without-mysql-include=${mysql-dir}/include
--with-mysql-lib
--without-mysql-lib=${mysql-dir}/lib
--with-mysqlclientlib
--without-mysqlclientlib
--with-mlib
--without-mlib
--with-mysqlclientlib
--without-mysqlclientlib
--with-zlib
--without-zlib
--with-mysqlclientlib
--without-mysqlclientlib
--with-socketlib
--without-socketlib
--with-mysqlclientlib
--without-mysqlclientlib
--with-nsllib
--without-nsllib
--with-mysqlclientlib
--without-mysqlclientlib
ERROR: While executing gem ... (RuntimeError)
Gem files will remain installed in /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.7
for inspection.
ruby extconf.rb install mysql -- --include=/usr/local/lib\nchecking for
mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
checking for main() in -lm... yes
checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
checking for main() in -lz... yes
checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
checking for main() in -lsocket... no
checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
checking for main() in -lnsl... yes
checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no

Results logged to /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.7/gem_make.out

Any ideas?

Thx,
Peter