Well, you can sure automate Excel from Ruby...

look at the Win32OLE library...

You would maybe then want to encapsulate the Excel automation, perhaps
in some ActiveRecord::Base-derived class...

It's hard to beat doing certain things in Excel, but like any
development platform, there are a few good ways to do things and a LOT
of bad ways. Unfortunately, some of the bad ways are trivial to do...

-Corey Lawson