On Tue, 2006-04-11 at 02:15 +0900, Dominik Bathon wrote:

> So, the morale of all this:
> - don't use symbols if they have to be converted to a string often
> - hash lookups might be slower than you think
> - premature optimization...

I used symbols in my solution, but primarily because I was trying to
make the hash itself require as little memory as possible to allow for
vast bodies of input (which I admit I've not really tried yet) and I
figured a hash on symbols would be smaller than a hash on strings.

I guess this means that GC is pushed by lots of string objects created
and destroyed during the generation run, but I tended to aim for memory
efficiency over speed for this one, as long as it was running 'fast
enough'.