On 4/10/06, Tom Allison <tallison / tacocat.net> wrote:> Just a point of clarification.>> When I call> Obj.new()>> I actually call the> clall Obj>   def initialize()>   end> end>> so there is an implied connection between new() and initialize()?>> Historically is there some reason why we didn't just stick with the> 'def new()'> or did I miss something.
No, you actually call Obj::new. This is a method on Obj; this methodlooks something like this, although it's written in C:
  class Obj    class << self      def new(*args, &block)        obj = self.allocate        obj.__send__(:initialize, *args, &block)        obj      end    end  end
-austin--Austin Ziegler * halostatue / gmail.com               * Alternate: austin / halostatue.ca