On 4/8/06, ara.t.howard / noaa.gov <ara.t.howard / noaa.gov> wrote:
> so i need to compile a bunch of stuff on windows.  some third party stuff and
> ruby extensions to those third party libs.  everything i do __must__ be
> compatible with the one-click installer, here's what i'm thinking might be a
> good approach:
>
> [snip]
>
> has anyone done anything like this?  does it sound resonable?

This is close to how I build the ruby-postgres win32 gem.  I have
MingW and MSYS installed,  which I used to build, *and install* ruby
1.8.4.  simple as:

./configure --prefix=c:/mingw/ruby
make
make install

this keeps the two ruby installs seperate.

and to build the extension:

export PATH="c:/mingw/ruby/bin:$PATH"
cd to/ruby/extension
ruby extconf.rb
make
gem build *.gemspec

to install the extension (to the one-click installer ruby in c:/ruby),
I open up a new term, which has c:/ruby/bin in the $PATH, and run `gem
install ...`.  In your case, you would run `make install`, which
should install to your one-click installation.  I run all of this from
an MSYS term, except for the last step of installing to one-click
ruby, where I use a windows command term.

Dave