You will need to have ANSI terminal control sequences to place your cursor
where you want. Optionally, you can use the curses library if you don't
want to embedded a bunch of escape sequences, which you will have to
figure out.

On the other hand, if you wish to overwrite something on the same line,
you can use the backspace to back up to where you want and write what you
want.

--Craig