On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 05:50:24PM +0900, Niklas Frykholm wrote:
> >Perhaps this isn't as neat as you'd like, but you can do something like ...
> >
> >   system("...").each do |line|
> >       # Do something with the each line
> >   end
>
> There shouldn't be any .each here, just system("...") will do it. The
> command gets executed in a subshell and prints its output to stdout.
>
> If you want to process the output before printing it you need popen
> (see Dave Thomas's post).
Ahh, that's even better, I didn't realize system did that. I just thought it was
backquotes that didn't save the text.

Niklas's didn't work I found out later because when it returns true the script
fails with the message no method each for true or something like that. I was
using a variant of Daves suggestion but now I am just using system as that's
what I want.

Thanks all of you for your help :)
Chris Moline