------art_1077_15161148.1144313456540

On 4/5/06, Carl Woodward <cjwoodward / gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

No one is intending a flame war but I have seen java do a lot of good
> thick client work and I have had it running (with speed) on linux,
> windows and osx. This includes swing and SWT. I'm not saying that java
> is great but I am saying that the ideas that they have work really
> well for certian situations.
>
> A lot of applications can be done in a webapp and webapps are great
> for situations where you wish to deploy the applications easily and
> you are trying to capture data from the user. They are even getting
> better with respect to text editors, etc. But, I have worked in
> consulting for a few years now and I see that ruby is losing a lot of
> developers to .NET because of its gui support, even though the ruby
> language is far superior. .NET has a single toolkit for gui
> development that isn't really that good but it is documented and
> supported. I believe that ruby could benefit from a well documented
> and usable gui toolkit or abstract layer.

You are right for sure, but why limit this to ruby, should we not at this
point in time foresee the need of something more abstract.
I feel quite stupid writing this because I have so little GUI experience,
but it strikes me very very clearly that I share the disgust for GUI
developping because it is sooo difficult.

For me it seems that what is needed is an *Open* GUI specification, way on
top of GTK, KDE or whatever graphical interface.
If that could be done in a decent way ( sooo easy to say, sooo difficult to
do) the rest would spring into life automatically.
Ruby, Python, Objective C, Perl6 (yes I know it is dead, but I am an
optimist) and all the other marvellous languages will implement it.

Such a beast could be inspired by things we might have learnt by SWING, CSS,
Tk and so on.
It could defenitely be inspired by the already existing graphical layers.
It will be crucial to be "pragmatic".

Please do not forget that we are still in the Stone Age of Computers, like
in the old times of industry revolution, when each manufacturer created his
own screws and you needed his own screwdrivers. (Dunno why I am suddenly
thinking about proprietary SW and protocols ;)

If this was inplace then ruby would be stronger as a complete platform
> for application development and maybe more companies would start to
> use it for all of their development.

It would, but I think our community (and no single language community for
that matter) is not strong enough to pull that off alone, but please make me
mistaken!

[...]
Just some thaughts

Robert

--
Deux choses sont infinies : l'univers et la bóŐise humaine ; en ce qui

- Albert Einstein

------art_1077_15161148.1144313456540--