azrael / cream.org wrote:
>>> Using Rails and a web interface is a nice way to present data to an end
>>> user, but it's not always a viable solution.  For example, my company
>>> does diesel engine testing in real time.  There's no way a web based
>>> Rails interface would even come close to being able to meet our needs
>>> for that.
>>>
>> Until they give the browser persistent connections to the server =)
>>

> Look at what GMail has been able to do with XMLHttpRequest.
>
> If I were you, I'd check out Rails 1.1's RJS support, Dojo, etc., and
> check out some of the suprisingly fab stuff you can do with Async
> Javascript.

What I'm getting at is that there is time involved with the setup,
handshake, connection and termination of each XmlHttpRequest. A
persistent connection only incurs each of those once.

To get good performance for lots of data it would be awesome to open a
connection and then to have it open for the remainder of the site visit.

=(

Zach