On 4/5/06, Zed Shaw <zedshaw / zedshaw.com> wrote:

> On 4/4/06 11:23 AM, "pat eyler" <pat.eyler / gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Heh, a new version on the day my mini writeup of 0.3.12 went live.  Isn't
> > that the way things always go?   ;^)
> >
> Where's your write-up?

It was a short blurb in my latest Ruby article at Linux Journal:
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8970

I'd love to to a larger piece on it though at some point though.

> Yeah, I'm pushing hard to 0.3.13 (and then 0.4
> hopefully before or on Canada on Rails).  The core functionality won't
> change, just stability and mostly debugging enhancements.

Maybe this is a good time for me to put together an outline/proposal
then.

> > This sounds very cool.   any chance you could write up some of your testing
> > activity in more detail?   I think this would be a great way to learn more
> > about testing beyond unit testing.
> >

> I'll see if I can write it up.
>

> >> The end result is a lot of little fixes which make Mongrel more robust
> >> against badly behaving clients and possibly against many potential security
> >> risks in the future.  In general Mongrel 0.3.12.1 behaves more consistently
> >> compared to past releases when given random data or maliciously formatted
> >> data.
> >
> > Again, seeing more specific examples (show us the code man!) would be
> > awesome.
> >

> The majority of the changes were to simply stop accepting elements that were
> above certain fixed lengths and to read smaller chunks of IO so that errors
> are detected earlier.  I'll do a more complete write-up later when I can
> breath.  Or maybe a BOF at CoR?

I wish I could make CoR ... If you're interested on inut for a writeup, I'd
love to see:

  What kinds of tests you ran and why you ran them
  Examples of problems you found, why they were important, and
how you fixed them.
  Thoughts on automating this kind of testing and integrsating it
into your release process.

--
thanks,
-pate