On 4/4/06, greg.rb <ghalsey / yahoo.com> wrote:> Ruby seems pretty eash to code and understand. However, as a> non-professional programmer, I find GUI the hardest part so far.
Generally, gui is the hard part of software that has to communicatewith the user. It takes a lot of work to get at least some gui withthe most importatnt options somewhere, and even more difficult to makeone that is easy to use.
Some people find gui builders helpful. They allow you to designdialogs, menus, etc, and just load them ito your application. iircqtruby supports such thing.
Creating dialogs on the fly is more versatile. You can add differentcontrols when your application is in different states. But then youshould look for toolkit with ruby bindings that makes constructing thelayout easy.
For example, the tk toolkit only provides very primitive ways ofarranging elements. I am not sure if the ruby library provides somemore complex layouts.  But with tk alone it may be quite hard tocreate a dialog with different kinds of elements that won't make theusers run away :)
Thanks
Michal