On 4/4/06, Isaac Gouy <igouy / yahoo.com> wrote:

> Austin Ziegler wrote:
> > Saying "don't look" says that the Alioth shootout isn't worth the
> > server space it takes up. It's certainly not worth the amount of
> > pimping you do for it.
> >
> > -austin
> > --
> > Austin Ziegler * halostatue / gmail.com
> >                * Alternate: austin / halostatue.ca
>
> And you believe all that without even looking - truly remarkable!
>
> (I suppose there are people who make judgements about Ruby without
> looking.)

Can we avoid this shootout thing again.  Anyone interested in the
history of this thread can find plenty on the archive, we don't need
to rehash it.

That having been said, comparing speed is a tough job.  I'll
re-iterate the standard advice which seems to work to the OP.  Try
just writing whatever you want in ruby first... then if you find
bottle necks, try to optimize them, and if you can't, C extensions are
always an option for the really computation heavy stuff.  I'm not sure
i've seen anyone switch to perl or python because of speed, because
the gain is going to be something small if anything.

So... worry about performance when it becomes an issue.  Or... if you
know how to optimize perl or python to make it sing, maybe go ahead
and use them.  Otherwise, I'm pretty sure you'll find that speed
hangups can be avoided when needed in Ruby.