On 4/4/06, Isaac Gouy <igouy / yahoo.com> wrote:> Austin Ziegler wrote:> > On 3/31/06, sullivanz.pku / gmail.com <sullivanz.pku / gmail.com> wrote:> > > This might be a stupid question, but I really wonder if ruby is much> > > slower than python and perl.> > Try it. And ignore anyone who tells you to look at the utterly useless> > Alioth shootout. It doesn't model anything real-world and doesn't> > actually tell you anything about performance for your problems.> >> > I haven't checked in a while, but they weren't very honest about their> > aims last time I checked, either. It's simply a matter of> > self-promotion and comparison for Inane Gullibles.> "I haven't checked in a while..."> Then your comments would apply to the Alioth shootout in... 2004?
2005. I avoid the shootout like the plague, until you pop up andpretend that your pet project has any relevance to anything.
> There's nothing wrong with saying how little can be learned from> measuring small programs, but saying don't look suggests there's> something to be hidden.
No, saying "don't look" says that your aims are bogus, your tests areworse, your validation is nonsensical to nonexistent, and yourpresentation is dishonest.
Saying "don't look" says that the Alioth shootout isn't worth theserver space it takes up. It's certainly not worth the amount ofpimping you do for it.
-austin--Austin Ziegler * halostatue / gmail.com               * Alternate: austin / halostatue.ca