MikkelFJ  writes:

> Those who grew up with algebra (not just 1 school year) will appreciate that
> integer division is indeed a very clean an meaningful operation. All
> integers within a limited domains size like 8 bit or 32 bit has a very
> strong mathematical background.

Really?  How does that work?  At this point, I'm just curious.

If you have the integers mod 10, addition and subtraction work fine.

2+3 = 5
5-3 = 2
5+7 = 2, therefore (-3) = 7.  Good enough.  3+7=10=0

But with division,

2*3 = 6
6/3 = 2
6*2 = 2, therefore (1/3) = 2 and 2 = 1 (since it's the identity.)

This seems bad, or do you have a weird definition of multiplication
and division that makes it work out?  I always thought even the
integers mod something were a ring and not a field.  Rational support
seems like the only sane option.

--
Johann Hibschman                           johann / physics.berkeley.edu