Markus Kolb wrote:
> Jim Weirich wrote:
>> Markus Kolb wrote:
> [...]
>>> Gem::LoadError: Could not find RubyGem rake (> 0.0.0)
> [...]
>>> irb(main):003:0> require 'rake'
>>> => true
>>> irb(main):004:0>
>>>
>>> So rake.rb is found but require_gem doesn't find gem rake?!
> [...]
>> Add a list of user repositories to the GEM_PATH environment variable.
>
> Thank you Jim.
> Oh, yes, with environment variable GEM_PATH it works. Why not with
> ..gemrc gempath? Seems that only the gem tool uses that config.

It would certainly be more consistent for RubyGems to always use .gemrc.
But if it did, then every program using RubyGems would need to load the
.gemrc file on startup.  That was a bit more overhead[1] than we were
willing to introduce to unsuspecting programs.  Since the only thing the
average program needs is the gem path, this is simple enough to provide
via the environment variable.  The gem command does allow for more
configuration options, so it does use a configuration file.

At least that's how it stands today.  Its a judgement call, so I'm
willing to be convinced otherwise for future versions.

--
-- Jim Weirich

[1] Not just time overhead, but also conceptual overhead.  E.g. reading
.gemrc requires that YAML be loaded in programs that don't otherwise
need it.