On 4/1/06, Robert Dober <robert.dober / gmail.com> wrote:> Dear group>> there was a recent thread about "Boolean" and it braught me to my> favorit thing I would love to have in Ruby2.>> *typed parameters*
This might happen, but it's unlikely to work the way you havesuggested. I personally hope it doesn't happen, as it will makeRuby a little less "smart."
> My code is completely filled with things like this:>>  def never_saw_a_better_method( clever, smart, stupid )>             assert_type clever, String>            assert_type  smart, Hash>           assert_type  stuoid, Boolean> ....> def cool( clever : String, smart : Hash, stupid : Boolean )>> and of course> def x(y)  would be equivalent to def(x : Object )>> There is no other than practical reason to that, I found that this> kind of type assertion finds the most devious bugs in my code.
It's not actually that practical, and such things end up making yourcode very much like C++ and Java.
Ruby is smarter than that. Ruby can do more than that.
Think in terms of what your object's required capabilities are insteadof pretending that a class indicator is sufficient for that.
-austin--Austin Ziegler * halostatue / gmail.com               * Alternate: austin / halostatue.ca