Did you catch the linked article about YARV?  Koichi-San explains how relieved
he is to just let everyone use the JVM, since YARV development
was really starting to get tedious and annoying, having to support all
that dynamic silliness, not to mention  all the metaprogramming Ruby allows
which mostly is used by bright developers just to show off.  This will
have the immediate benefit of speeding Ruby execution by a factor of twenty
to a hundred, making Ruby much more suitable for general purpose use, and
a real threat to traditional compiled languages such as COBOL, mainframe
assembler and .NET.

Ralph