I've not seen this translated anyplace, but the Japanese Ruby site has
an announcement about Ruby being bought (yeah, I was surprised, too) by
Sun Microsystems; Matz is moving to California!

The purchase takes effect on Christmas; in preparation for Sun
ownership, Matz is adding static typing (so it plays better with
Java(tm)), and replacing those annoying "end" keywords with significant
indentation, a la Python.  (You'll get used to it.)  The new name will
be Ruby 2 Enterprise Edition 3000.

The best part, though, is that James Gosling will be adding an
interplanetary navigation library.  Pretty sweet!

--
James Britt

"In Ruby, no one cares who your parents were, all they care
  about is if you know  what you are talking about."
   - Logan Capaldo