PP> Let's say a Ruby programmer overrides division so that "/" means
PP> something different. That change is visible globally, right? It doesn't
PP> just affect the module you are working on. As soon as you combine your
PP> overloaded object with other people's code (e.g. the standard library!)
PP> you'll break that code. So really everybody needs to agree on the
PP> semantics of division.

That is correct. I wish there was a way to specify whether a change to
a class is global, or only in effect for code defined in the file
where the change was made (or "required"). It would be useful for
cases where you have special hacks that you like to use in your own
code, but would break other code that you use (or vice-versa).

thanks,
-joe