On Saturday 28 July 2001 05:20 pm, you wrote:

> Also, there is an issue wherein some apps have a GUI event loop and it
> isn't clear how to integrate the loop over the non-blocking IO with it.

A common idiom in the Smalltalk world (like with VisualWorks) is to use a
native thread for the (native) GUI event loop, and run the rest of the
(cooperatively threaded) Smalltalk in another native thread. They communicate
over queues.

I understand that VW now also fires up native threads for external DLL calls.
It didn't do this before, which would cause all the Smalltalk threads to hang
until the DLL call completed.

--
Ned Konz
currently: Stanwood, WA