JB wrote:
>  Okay, here's what I got, and it works too, heh. The 'if' had to be in
> there,
> or else it kept ending with negative numbers (usually -2). This way is as
> good as Bill's, but a lot shorter (not putting you down or anything
> Bill!).
>
> beer = 99
> while beer >= 0
>    beer = beer - 1
>        if (beer - 1) >= 0
>        puts beer.to_s + ' ' 'bottles of beer on the wall,' +
>             beer.to_s + ' bottles of beer,' +
>             'take one down, pass it around,' +
>             (beer - 1).to_s + ' ' + 'bottles of beer on the wall!'
>        end
> end

Like I told Jan, put the "beer = beer - 1" at the end of the loop - then you
won't need that "if". By the way, that "if" covers the whole loop. Wouldn't
it be simpler just to exit the loop instead of going through again but doing
nothing? Here are the two alternatives I'm suggesting:

beer = 100 # have to add 1, because the first thing we're doing is
subtracting 1!
while (beer - 1) >= 0 # a little better - no need for the inside "if"
  beer = beer - 1
  puts ...
end

beer = 99
while beer >= 0
  puts ...
  beer = beer - 1
end

Also, check out the typo here:
>        puts beer.to_s + ' ' 'bottles of beer on the wall,' +

' ' 'bottles...' is the same as ' ' + 'bottles...'. You should change it to
' bottles...'.

>  Now, to clean it up even more...when it gets down to '1 bottle', I don't
> want it to say '1 bottles...' (plural). How would I do this? I tried with
> an
> 'else' in there, but for some reason I either made it an infinite loop or
> it
> kept getting the negative numbers all over again.
>  I tried with an 'else (beer - 1) == 1' (no quotes of course and that
> didn't
> work either.

Bill's solution did this! You might want to read it and figure out how.
Still, I would prefer to do it a different way:

beer = 99
s = ''
while beer >= 0
  if beer == 1
    s = ''
  else
    s = 's'
  end
  puts ... + 'bottle' + s + ...
  beer = beer - 1
end

>  I do appreciate all the help you guys are giving, and yes, the
> interactive
> way will make me work a little harder too to get things right, plus I'm
> the
> kind who *needs* that kind of help or I fail miserably and give up, heh.

We'll keep you accountable. Don't give up.

Cheers,
Dave