"David Douthitt" <DDouthitt / cuna.com> writes:

> Why not use this pattern substitution (instead of gsub! and yield) -
>
> line = s/[ \t]*#.*$//;
> next if /^$/;
>
> Not sure how that translates to Ruby....

The s/// is a sub(/\s*#.*/, '').

The only reason for the separate method is reusability: the next time
you need to read an Oracle configuration or whatever you've got the
useful configReader method in your toolkit.

>>>snip!<<<

I wasn't talking about method v. otherwise necessarily - just the guts of it.  You could just plop the core into a method, right?

I would actually prefer to do this from a code-quality and code-documentation standpoint.  After all, what's this do (QUICK!) :

line.gsub!(/\s*#.*/, '')
next if (line =~ /^$/)

Now, what's this do:

next if line.comment?