Dave Thomas <Dave / PragmaticProgrammer.com> writes:

> Larry Wall's fifth State of the Onion speech, summarized at
> http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2001/07/25/onion.html, spends a lot of time
> on Perl6. There's some interesting stuff:
>
> - the 'sub' keyword on closures will not be required, so they'll look
>   a bit more like Ruby blocks. (In fact, Perl will actually be shorter
>   than Ruby here, as it won't need the 'proc' method to objectify the
>   block.
>
>       $a = { printf "Hi\n" };
>
>   vs
>
>       a = proc { printf "Hi\n" }

I think that'll still try and be a hash first. And you can always add
'sub' to make the meaning clear...

> - a favorite for discussion in this group. Parameters to closures will
>   be identified with a unique flag character, currently thought to be
>   '^'. If you see $^a, you're looking at a closure parameter.

I wonder if he's thrown out the other stuff that went with that...
Damian's initial proposal had $f = ^a + ^b turning into:

$f = sub {$_[0] + $_[1]}, but with added currying magic so that:

$f->(1), returned sub {1 + $_[0]}

--
Piers Cawley
www.iterative-software.com