On Sat, 28 Jul 2001, Sean Chittenden wrote:

> > |	Not to start an editor war or flamage, but is there another
> > |editor that you use that is very ruby friendly that you would recommend?
> >
> > Emacs.  I even wrote ruby-mode.el to make it friendly to Ruby.
> > I've heard some other editors have ruby mode too (JED for exmaple).
>
> 	Alright, groovy: my perception of the world is still intact.
> It sounded like there was another editor that you prefered instead of
> emacs.  -sc

Well, I use vim for everything, myself. I don't know how its Ruby mode stands up to emacs, though. I just can't grasp a lot of things about emacs, myself. (And I'm not sure there's a version for my primary "do stuff machine" at home. It's a Mac Quadra running System 7.5.5... ;)

Vim is nice and quick and I really like its automatic syntax for most languages. And it *seems* to do a decent job highlighting the simple Ruby I've done so far... (So far == this past week.)

--Matt

P.S. I'm not *totally* anti-emacs. Just point me at a version I can run on this machine and I'll give it a whirl. Just be prepared for a lot of "How do I do this?" and "Why the hell doesn't this work?!?" from me. ;) A lot of things in emacs seem superfluous to me, but I'd probably be a richer person by knowing how to use emacs.