On Fri, 31 Mar 2006, Randy Kramer wrote:

> On Thursday 30 March 2006 12:59 pm, ara.t.howard / noaa.gov wrote:
>> i manage about 50 machines and we've taken the compile route - however,
>> since all the boxes see a common nfs mount we install only once there.
>
> Hmm, interesting idea--tell me more:
>
>   * Is that partition mounted as one of the standard partitions (/usr...) or
> something else?

something else = prefix=/dmsp/reference/

we have tons of stuff living there

>   * Do you have to do anything on each of those 50 machines, or just mount
> the NFS partition--hmm, I guess you'd at least have to add something to the
> PATH of each user (at least, if a non-standard partition)?

yes.  PATH must be set.  this is done in /etc/profile.d/dmsp.sh.  we also set
LD_LIBRARY_PATH here - thought this needed be done (see below)

> I might try this, or even on a local non-standard partition (I guess I just
> have to set the prefix appropriately).
>
> This might solve some problems for me--I'm trying to get TkHTML working for
> me, and by now I'm concerned that I've tried so many things I've created more
> problems for myself--I could start completely over on a new partition.

exactly one of the issues i had!  i have tcl/tk compiled and installed this
way too.

> Then I guess I'd have to do the ./configure --prefix=dst && make && sudo make
> install process for:
>
> Ruby
> tcltk (or ActiveTcl)
> TkHTML (although in reading the instructions for this I realize there are some
> special things to deal with, like the "parallel" bld directory)

yup.

> More info:
>
> Part of my problem is that I've compiled Ruby, then installed ActiveTcl, and I
> don't know how to uninstall something that I installed by compiling.
> ActiveTcl seemed to have an uninstall.tcl script, but that failed for me.  I
> guess I'll just go around and delete all files and directories that look like
> they have anything to do with Ruby, tcltk, ActiveTcl, or TkHTML, and then
> start over.
>
> This is on a Mandriva2006 system.  I don't know whether the rpms on Mandriva
> are to blame in any way--I suspect most of the problem(s) are just my
> ignorance/inexperience in setting something like this up.

if you follow these steps just about anything will work:

   - chose a common nfs location.  we'll call it /nfs

   - every single time you compile something do this

       export LD_RUN_PATH=/nfs/lib
       export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/nfs/lib
       ./configure --prefix=/nfs && make && make install

     i set LD_LIBRARY_PATH and LD_RUN_PATH in my .bashrc because i do this so
     much.  the cool thing with LD_RUN_PATH is that it __encodes__
     inter-library dependancies (so ruby tk.so needs libtk.so needs ...) such
     that users do not need to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH themselves.  of course they
     may, but they do not have to

   - all users of code on this partiion need only do

       export PATH=/nfs/bin:$PATH

i have a /nfs/build and /nfs/packages - you can guess what these are for ;-)
if you like this approach you may want to check out gnu stowe.  i find it easy
enough to do by hand though...

regards.

-a
--
share your knowledge.  it's a way to achieve immortality.
- h.h. the 14th dali lama