On 3/29/06, Michael Trier <mtrier / gmail.com> wrote:> To suggest that there's nothing between the pickaxe and rubyquiz is> ridiculous.  There's plenty of opportunities.  As others have said,> this list is an excellent way to learn, first by reading and> understanding, but then as James said, by contributing.
Do you honestly think someone with no computer science or programmingbackground can read through the pickaxe and thenstart submitting rubyquiz.com solutions just by reading and posting commentsto this mailing list? Now thats ridiculous.
Dont you realise the sheer volume of this list is enough tomake a newbies head explode? Not to mention probablekidney failure.
Ruby-Talk mailing list is where we all end up, but its notwhere people should start, at least not in my opinion.
Frankly I'm surprised so many people say this is a goodplace for newbies to learn. I guess they say that because thisis the best source out of what is currently available within theruby community, which just goes to prove my point that thereis not much out there for newbies who are finished the pickaxebut nowhere near ready for rubyquiz.com.
> I find teaching (contributing) to be the best vehicle for learning.> It forces you to really fill in the gaps in your own understanding as> you work through it.  Plus, if there are still gaps, others will> kindly point those out as well. :)
I agree, thats a good way for someone with a strong background in computersto pickup a second or third language.
> In addition, there's such things as IRC, RubyConf, RailsConf, Rails> Studio, etc.. etc..
Would you care to elaborate a little more on how those are tailored to educatenewbies from around the world to the point that they can start writinghigh quality solutions to rubyquiz?
IRC seems to make some newbies lazy, they can stop studying and justbug people for answers until they get kicked out or someone breaks downand solves the problem for them in which case they've learned nothing.
Ok, so in conclusion, this is the current ladder for newbies:Pickaxe -> (IRC,ruby-talk) -> rubyquiz.com
IPlease keep in mind, im not bashing anything: Pickaxe? Awesome.#ruby-lang? Awesome.Ruby-Talk? Awesome. rubyquiz.com? Awesome.
And I really mean that, each one of those things has a place near anddear to my heart.
--Alex Combashttp://noodlejunkie.com/