From: "Peter Szinek" <peter / rt.sk>

> http://www.pythonchallenge.com/
>
> I also solved the python challege up to level 20 or something when it
> got too time consuming. To sum it up: to get to the next level you
> needed to apply some python technique/module (like regexps, loading a
> web page, IO, gfx, GUI, etc) and it was gradually getting harder and
> harder. The catch was, that even the non-programmers rushed to learn to
> program - because there was no other way around to get to the next level
> and because you wanted to get to the next level badly (it was kinda
> addictive). When the next level came up, it was immediately clear that
> you are missing info on this or that technique/module/feature of the
> language.
>
> I know that the ruby-quiz is around, and i think it is a great idea - i
> hope i will manage to find some time to play around with it. However,
> what was different in the case of the python challenge: it was
> hierarchical, and in a very natural yet funny way it somehow certified
> your skills in python/programming (i.e. if you got yourself to level X,
> you had some experience with regexps, IO, web, UI, ...). I think this is
> the kind of certificate which would be interesting to see in Ruby as
> well - and not the Java style experience-with-obscurity-is-knowledge
> style crap.

Interesting.  I was looking for an interactive Python
interpreter on the web page.  I did the first couple using
IRB.  I did like the humor... ("Have you ever heard of jvon
files??")

For Ruby, have you seen http://tryruby.hobix.com/ ?

I think tryruby is awesome.  I've given the link to people who
were interested in ruby but not only had never tried it, they
had very little programming experience.  The feedback has been
positive (apart from the session timing out when they took a
short break. :)

Anyway, so the python challenge got me wondering what an
advanced-skill version of tryruby would be like . . . .

Regards,

Bill