> I know there are Java bytecode obfuscators, anyone working on something
> similar for YARV?

People seem to want a compiler for 2 reasons
a) improved performance
b) securing their source

a) could be addressed by YARV, as previously commented
b).. is it possible to do something simple like encrypt the source file
and have ruby decypt the file "on-the-fly" as it reads it at run-time? The
encryption key could be client specific and hence the code secure. I guess
it would need Ruby VM to have a new command line mode (i.e. "start-up on
the fly decryption - and here is my certificate"), and the source to be
encypted / packed by something like rubyscript2exe

Would this make a worthwhile quiz??
Graham