> I have an Applescript which remaps the command and option
> keys for switching btw. a mac and a windows keyboard.

I don't understand what good would that do. I still need the
alt/option/meta key (since we are talking about emacs here).

What I'd tried doing for a little while was swapping the control
and command keys using:

System Prefs --> Keyboard and Mouse --> Keyboard tab -->
Modifier Keys...

(I'm guessing your Applescript does something similar to
that, but maybe with the touch of a key-combination?)

Anyhow, sorry for getting off-topic -- recall from my post that
I'm using that special ergo Contoured keyboard and not the
built-in Powerbook keyboard. It gives me 2 easy-to-reach
special keys: those can be mapped to either control & alt, or
else command & alt.

Now, what would be nice (I think) would be if there was some
global Cocoa/Carbon setting to make all Apple apps listen to
the control key instead of the command key. Then the whole
thing would be uniform, and you could hop from emacs to
Firefox to Preview to whatever without missing a beat.