Matz says:
> Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 03:01:35 +0900
> Hi,
>
> In message "[ruby-talk:18635] Non-blocking socket use in threads?"
>     on 01/07/28, Ned Konz <ned / bike-nomad.com> writes:
>
>     |Does Ruby do the Right Thing and just block a single thread on pending IO?
>     |If not, when/how will it?
>
>     Ruby tries its best to avoid blocking whole system for any kind of IO
>     (IO/Pipe/File/Socket).  I'm happy to know there's at least one thing
>     where Ruby's implementation wins to Squeak. ;-)
>
>     							matz.

Unfortunately (as I reported in Bug 112 at the Ruby Bug Tracking
System), IO#eof is still blocking, e.g.:

    io = IO.popen("/bin/sleep 2")
    puts "Starting at #{Time.now}"
    p io.eof     # Shouldn't be blocking here!
    puts "EOF completed at #{Time.now}"

This is in 1.6.2.  I don't know if it is fixed in any more recent
version.

	Steven
	grady / digitaldeck.com

"Of course, it would be wrong to suggest that this sort of mayhem
_began_ with rock and roll.  After all, there were riots at the
premiere of Mozart's _The_Magic_Flute_.  So, what's the answer?  Ban
all music?  In this reporter's opinion, the answer, sadly, is yes."