Hello all, I have been coding in Ruby for a few days now and have
  some questions.

  I understand (I think) about telling collect to an array as exhibited
  by the table method below.

  I would like to do something similar in the method table_fancy but
  had to use a temp var, x, to make it work.

  Any ideas on how I can eliminate the x?

class Array

  def table (*args)

    alf = HTMLtable.new(*args)
    self.each { |r| alf << trow (r.collect! { |c| tcell (c)})}
    alf.to_s

  end

  def table_fancy (format, *args)

    alf = HTMLtable.new(*args)
    x = ''

    self.each { |row| 0.upto (row.length - 1) { |i| x << tcell (row[i], *format[i]) }
      alf << trow (x)
      x = ''}

    alf.to_s

  This is an excerpt from my HTML lib that I wrote for Scheme and am
  porting to Ruby.

  The above functions would be called as:

    doc = HTMLdoc.new(H_title => 'Some Document')

    foo = [['red', 'green', 'blue'],
          ['moe', 'martin', 'alf']]

    format = [[H_th => true], [H_bgcolor => '#ddffdd'], []]

    doc << foo.table (H_border => 1)

    doc << foo.table_fancy (format, H_border => 1)

    puts doc

  Thank you for you thoughts,
  -Dave