Hi folks,

I just joined the ML and started looking at Ruby. I got the Pickaxe book and
have been impressed so far with what I've seen.

My background: I'm a long-time OO fan; I've used C++ since '85, Smalltalk
since '94 or so, and Perl since '96 or so.

Recently I've mostly been using Squeak Smalltalk and Perl5.

In Squeak, I've written the Process Browser, and Zip Archive viewer that come
with 3.1. I've also written an elaborate graphical framework for making
connected drawings (like, for instance, UML diagrams). I've also worked on
the Squeak port to Windows/CE.

In Perl, I've authored several CPAN modules, including one
(Class::Prototyped) that allows for per-object method overloading and
flexible reflection and mix-ins under Perl (sound familiar)?

I also do embedded systems stuff and design hardware sometimes.

Anyway, I'm looking to replace my Perl with Ruby (at least for the stuff I do
for myself). I'd also like to have a Windows/CE version of Ruby to do
scripting stuff on my NEC MobilePro 770.

The Ruby community seems to have the reputation of being helpful and
supportive, like the Squeak community. I'm glad to be here.

--
Ned Konz
currently: Stanwood, WA