On Mar 28, 2006, at 11:53 AM, Minkoo Seo wrote:

> Eric Hodel wrote:
>> On Mar 28, 2006, at 10:28 AM, Minkoo Seo wrote:
>>
>>> Second of all, why is it named resolve instead of Net::DNS? It
>>> doesn't
>>> seem to be good choice to me. Don't you think this is incoherent?
>>
>> Resolv is not just a DNS resolver.  It also reads from /etc/hosts.
>
> Thank you. This will be of great help.

You're welcome.  I converted it from RD to RDoc.

> But, as you quoted, resolve.rb says "Resolv is a thread-aware DNS
> resolver library written in Ruby", so it is DNS resolver and I accuse
> resolve.rb of misnomer because it does not follow Net::xxx rules.
> Futhermore, reading /etc/hosts does not justify its name, because I
> believe that its name, resolve, was named after DNS resolver. (BTW, do
> you really think reading /etc/hosts is not related to dns resolver's
> own job?)
>
> Actually lack of naming coherency in Ruby is quite annoying more often
> than not.

The DNS portion of Resolv should probably go under Net, but it has
broader functionality than just DNS resolution.  Resolv is a good
name for the glue that the library provides between DNS and /etc/
hosts, along with the automatic configuration.

http://trackmap.robotcoop.com