----- Original Message -----
From: "Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng" <hgs / dmu.ac.uk>
> > IP header.  So, if the data is corrupted during delivery, or if the
datagram
> > is fragmented into small packets that are not all delivered, the whole
UDP
> > datagram is discarded. ...
>
> I didn't realize it could cope with that case as well.  I'll have
> to go back to my books on this then.  I may not need
> to worry about breaking large objects up in that case....

Letting UDP do the segmentation will make the app easier to write, but will
reduce
the likelihood of an application message being delivered, because UDP is
will discard
delivered data when a fragment is lost. The larger your datagram, the less
likely it
is that each datagram will be delivered, resulting in lower throughput for
your
application.  It is harder work, but more efficient, to implement
fragmentation &
reassembly in the application and send small UDP datagrams, each containing
approx 1500 bytes.  These are very unlikely to be fragmented during
transmission.

Cheers,
        Nat.