On 3/28/06, julian <jkbowler / tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
> In order to upgrade from rails 1.0 to 1.1 I need to be on the internet,

Yes.

> and (in my ruby directory) is that right?

No, this isn't necessary. For the first command ("gem install ...")
you can be anywhere. For the second command ("rake
update_javascripts") you need to be in your Rails project base
directory.

> and issue command in the cmd prompt in windows:
>  gem install rails -- include-dependencies

Yes, except make sure there's no space after the "--". That is,
"--include-dependencies", not "-- include-dependencies".

> ( this is the same instruction as you would use if you were installing
> rails for the first time (i's'n't it?)

Yes.

> Are you saying that you MUST upgrade to ruby 1.8.4 if you are on 1.8.2
> before you upgrade rails, or it will NOT Work!?

Running the newest versions of Rails will work with 1.8.2, but there
will be quirks. The specific quirks on window include script/console
not working, which is why upgrading your Ruby is recommended. However,
script/console is not required for a production environment, so even
if you don't upgrade your Ruby install, the upgraded Rails application
should still work. [1]

> Are you also saying that it is likley that you will need to upgrade
> ruby before rails in the future, or is this going to depend on loads of
> diffrent and varied factors??

It is very likely that at some point in the future, Rails will require
Ruby 1.8.4. It's also likely that at some point after Ruby 2.0 comes
out, Rails will require Ruby 2.0. This is just the natural progression
of the framework making the most of the features available in the
newest version of the language. The suggestion is that since a stable
1.8.4 exists now, and Rails works with it, you might as well get
updated now rather than waiting until the latest and greatest in Rails
*requires* it.

-- Jacob Fugal

[1] DISCLAIMER: I haven't actually tried Rails 1.1 on Windows with
Ruby 1.8.2, so I might be mistaken about the observations above. This
was just the way I understood David's comments.