On Sat, 28 Jul 2001, Nat Pryce wrote:

> FYI - UDP guarantees delivery of uncorrupted, complete datagrams, or no
> delivery at all.  The protocol performs a CRC on the payload, UDP header and

Oh.  Thank you, that has saved me some bother then.

> IP header.  So, if the data is corrupted during delivery, or if the datagram
> is fragmented into small packets that are not all delivered, the whole UDP
> datagram is discarded.  I believe that you can turn off UDP's CRC check with

I didn't realize it could cope with that case as well.  I'll have
to go back to my books on this then.  I may not need
to worry about breaking large objects up in that case....

> a socket option on some stacks, but LAN link-layer firmware usually performs
> CRC checks and discards corrupted packets as well.

If it is already there I won't need to turn it off -- it will save me implementing it.

> Cheers,
>         Nat.

	Thank you,
	Hugh