On 3/25/06, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <znmeb / cesmail.net> wrote:> Daniel Berger wrote:>> Larry Kelly wrote:>>> What progress is being made to improve Ruby's speed on Windows>>> platforms. I'm finding much slower on Windows, especially Windows>>> 2003 Server.>> What exactly are you finding slow?  Also, I've noticed that I/O in>> general is slower on Windows compared with other platforms, for>> example.> OK, *my* turn to ask detailed questions. :) How specifically is "I/O> in general" on Windows slower than, say, Linux or BSD?
File open operations are generally slower on Windows than otherplatforms. Once a file is open, Windows can perform about as well as anyother operating system with a journaling filesystem. Some of theopen-time performance can be recovered by turning off "access-time"tracking, but Windows is generally slower on those operations.
Solaris 10 claims a significant performance improvement over almostanything else right now.
-austin--Austin Ziegler * halostatue / gmail.com               * Alternate: austin / halostatue.ca