Hi,

I've just finished (?) writing an XML course for our training company,
and I am determined not to give the impression in demos that Java is the
only way to do any of this. As things stand, the few programming
exercises (DOM and SAX) are in Java, since we need to specify a language
that a reasonable number of attendees will know. For the demos, though,
I am also using Python and Ruby (and probably Smalltalk, possibly Perl).
I have XML-RPC working fine, but I am having trouble with XMLparser. I
have NQXML installed okay, but I will need a validating parser.
	I have downloaded expat 1.95.1 and it installs fine (into
/usr/local/lib); this is on Mac OS X v10.0.4. Whenever I try

	ruby extconf.rb

I get  "checking for xmlparse.h... no
           checking for expat.h... no"
These files are both in /usr/local/include. I have tried

	 ruby extconf.rb --with-xmlparse-include=/usr/local/include

and

	ruby extconf.rb --with-xmlparse-include=/usr/local

but always the same error message. No doubt I am doing something stupid:
anyone see it? Incidentally, is expat still being actively developed (eg
xml-schemas 2001)? Just wondering whether we should be wrapping xerces.

regards,

Alun ap Rhisiart