On Thursday 23 March 2006 04:03 pm, Ross Bamford wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-03-24 at 05:31 +0900, Randy Kramer wrote:
> > For a variety of reasons, I'm trying to get a better understanding of how
> > a Ruby installation is laid out on disk.  Maybe the best way to explain
> > what I mean is by giving some of the specific questions I have.  (Maybe
> > these are not so much Ruby specific, but maybe generic to a typical
> > language install.)

---<good stuff snipped>---

> Hope that helps,

Yes, very much, thanks!  (It may take me a little while to "internalize"
everything, but most of it is pretty clear and close to what I expected.)

After sending the original email, I began to wonder about the location of the
ri/rdoc documentation (that is, for example, the stuff generated by the =make
install-doc= step), i.e., being concerned that it might be in the "install
directory", and thus, a reason not to delete that directory (not that I'm all
that worried or intent on deleting that directory, it's just part of
understanding where things have to be.

Anyway, I found that in /usr/local/share/ri/1.8, so again, no worries about
deleting the tarball/install directory.

I do have more questions, they're focused on getting the TkHTML widget to
work--but I'll try to get my head screwed on straight and then ask those in a
new thread.

Thanks again!
Randy Kramer