John Lam wrote:
> I know there are some Smalltalk folks who hang out here, so I'd like to pose
> perhaps a fairly ignorant question:
>
> How far away is irb from a Smalltalk development environment?
>
> Put another way, what must need to be done to get to a Smalltalk development
> environment? Will being able to load / save image files get me closer (have
> folks done this by serializing the ObjectSpace tree to disk already)? Or am
> I just going to have to experience it for myself to get the gestalt of
> Smalltalk IDEs?

I've been working on a Self/Squeak type interface environment for Ruby:
http://www.mike-austin.com/interface-design/Ruby-Inertia.jpg

I think Self and Squeak are pioneers in live design, but I find them a little
over-complex.  Ruby-Inertia is being designed from scratch using SDL, OpenGL
and FreeType.  I've written prototypes of it in C++, Io and Dylan also.  So
far, Ruby seems to be the easiest (I wonder why? :)  Nothing to release yet, it
needs a little more work.

http://research.sun.com/self/
http://www.squeak.org/

Mike