Peter Ertl wrote:
> imho there's too much babbling about design patterns und too
> little pragmatism. who cares if it's pattern #1 or pattern #2.

The value of patterns is the vocabulary it gives to developers.

> it's more a matter of good taste as a matter of applying rules.
>
> especially in java I have seen ridiculous numbers of classes doing
> trivial stuff using factories, abstract classes, interfaces, proxies,
> adapters, delegates and the like. it's often considered by so called
> architects to be good software if it uses several design pattern
> no matter what for...

Ahh, now this I agree with.  People get it in their heads that patterns
are good, what they forget is that every pattern solves a given problem
with a set of tradeoffs.  Understanding the tradeoffs is crucial to
fully understanding the pattern.  Too many people blindly apply the full
blown pattern right out of the GOF book without considering the costs.

Beware of programmers who have just learned a new pattern and are
looking for a place to apply it.

--
-- Jim Weirich