Keith Sader wrote:
> I'm considering using Ruby to re-write and extract, transform, and
> load process for an online database.  This will replace an existing VB
> system that does most of the T of the ETL in T-SQL(don't ask).
>
> My replacement choices come down to .Net(C# or VB), Perl, and Ruby.
> Since we can have up to 3 million updates to the database during the
> day, performance is an issue.  Does Ruby perform as well at large text
> file transformations as Perl?  Does C# for that matter?
>
> At this point my gut feeling is to write the ETL in Ruby and transform
> it to Perl if performance becomes an issue.
>
> Any thoughts?

Usually client tool performance is shadowed by DB performance and
network communication times.  Due to the nature of the DB it has to do
more complex IO operations to store the data than the client which reads
just a plain text file sequentially or writes it sequentially.  I'd go
with Ruby.

Kind regards

	robert