------art_1245_25143547.1142981272586

ok, I uncommented entries in the ext/Setup file one-by-one, and here's what
I ended up with:

root@atcito01 [/home/tnordloh/ruby/ruby-1.8.4]
# cat ext/Setup
#option nodynamic

#Win32API
bigdecimal
curses
dbm
#digest
digest/md5
digest/rmd160
digest/sha1
digest/sha2
#dl
#enumerator
#etc
#fcntl
#gdbm
iconv
#io/wait
#nkf
#pty
openssl
#racc/cparse
#readline
#sdbm
#socket
#stringio
#strscan
#syck
#syslog
#tcltklib
#tk
#win32ole
zlib

I'm back to 'gmake' at this point and it fails at the ruby compile like
so...

making ruby
gmake[1]: Entering directory `/home/tnordloh/ruby/ruby-1.8.4'
gcc -g -O2  -DRUBY_EXPORT -DYYMAXDEPTH=300   -I. -I.  -oext/extinit.o -c
ext/extinit.c
gcc -g -O2  -DRUBY_EXPORT -DYYMAXDEPTH=300   -Wl,-E -L.
-L"/usr/local/include/openssl/lib" -E  main.o ext/extinit.o
ext/bigdecimal/bigdecimal.a ext/curses/curses.a ext/dbm/dbm.a
ext/digest/md5/md5.a ext/digest/rmd160/rmd160.a ext/digest/sha1/sha1.a
ext/digest/sha2/sha2.a ext/iconv/iconv.a ext/openssl/openssl.a
ext/zlib/zlib.a -lruby-static -ldld -lcrypt -lm  -lcur_colr -ltermcap -lssl
-lcrypto -liconv -lnsl -lz -o ruby
gcc: -E: linker input file unused because linking not done
gcc: main.o: linker input file unused because linking not done
gcc: ext/extinit.o: linker input file unused because linking not done
gcc: ext/bigdecimal/bigdecimal.a: linker input file unused because linking
not done
gcc: ext/curses/curses.a: linker input file unused because linking not done
gcc: ext/dbm/dbm.a: linker input file unused because linking not done
gcc: ext/digest/md5/md5.a: linker input file unused because linking not done
gcc: ext/digest/rmd160/rmd160.a: linker input file unused because linking
not done
gcc: ext/digest/sha1/sha1.a: linker input file unused because linking not
done
gcc: ext/digest/sha2/sha2.a: linker input file unused because linking not
done
gcc: ext/iconv/iconv.a: linker input file unused because linking not done
gcc: ext/openssl/openssl.a: linker input file unused because linking not
done
gcc: ext/zlib/zlib.a: linker input file unused because linking not done
gcc: -lruby-static: linker input file unused because linking not done
gcc: -ldld: linker input file unused because linking not done
gcc: -lcrypt: linker input file unused because linking not done
gcc: -lm: linker input file unused because linking not done
gcc: -lcur_colr: linker input file unused because linking not done
gcc: -ltermcap: linker input file unused because linking not done
gcc: -lssl: linker input file unused because linking not done
gcc: -lcrypto: linker input file unused because linking not done
gcc: -liconv: linker input file unused because linking not done
gcc: -lnsl: linker input file unused because linking not done
gcc: -lz: linker input file unused because linking not done
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/home/tnordloh/ruby/ruby-1.8.4'

And that really loses me.  It looks a lot like the 'gcc' command got
garbled.  Any idea what to make of that? I don't see an explicit 'failed'
message, but did it run right?  I can't tell.
One thing is for sure, ri still isn't working:

root@atcito01 [/home/tnordloh/ruby/ruby-1.8.4]
# ri Array
/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/yaml.rb:87: uninitialized constant
YAML::Syck::Resolver (NameError)
        from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/rdoc/ri/ri_descriptions.rb:1
        from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/rdoc/ri/ri_reader.rb:1
        from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/rdoc/ri/ri_driver.rb:5
        from /usr/local/bin/ri:43