On Mar 21, 2006, at 2:48 PM, Tim Nordloh wrote:

> 4.  run gmake all

Did you mean gmake install-all here?

> My Ruby-expert friend

<laughs>  I know that refers to me, but boy are you confused.  ;)
What I know about the Ruby compile process is limited to: "Works
great on Moc OS X!"  :D

> believes this is because I'm missing some C headers.

Actually, I believe Ruby failed to install its C extensions.  In a
private message, Tim shared the contents of his extension directory:

# ls /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/hppa2.0w-hpux11.11/
bigdecimal.sl  defines.h      intern.h       regex.h        util.h
config.h       digest         missing.h      ruby.h         version.h
crypto.h       digest.sl      node.h         rubyio.h
curses.sl      dln.h          rbconfig.rb    rubysig.h
dbm.sl         env.h          re.h           st.h

Compare that with my healthy install:

$ ls /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/powerpc-darwin8.3.0/
bigdecimal.bundle       iconv.bundle            rubysig.h
config.h                intern.h                sdbm.bundle
curses.bundle           io                      socket.bundle
dbm.bundle              missing.h               st.h
defines.h               nkf.bundle              stringio.bundle
digest                  node.h                  strscan.bundle
digest.bundle           openssl.bundle          syck.bundle
dl.bundle               pty.bundle              syslog.bundle
dl.h                    racc                    tcltklib.bundle
dlconfig.h              rbconfig.rb             tkutil.bundle
dln.h                   re.h                    util.h
enumerator.bundle       readline.bundle         version.h
env.h                   regex.h                 zlib.bundle
etc.bundle              ruby.h
fcntl.bundle            rubyio.h

I had him try a few tests.  Pure Ruby standard libraries seem to be
just fine, but, as you can see, the C extensions are missing.

James Edward Gray II