The rmagick docs look absolutely amazing
http://www.simplesystems.org/RMagick/doc/index.html
However right at the very start the doc basicallysays "if you're on windows then this wont work" and thenprovides no example to show how to make it work.
=>  Img.write("foo.gif") #for windows users please!
Finding out how to get started is usually the hardest part of learninganything new.

Geez, thanks, heh.

On 3/18/06, Tim Hunter <cyclists / nc.rr.com> wrote:> Ray wrote:> > Hi Tim, thanks for your quick response. I'm very new to this, Im on Mac> > OSX 10.4.5, how do I check the version of ImageMagick installed?> >> > Also, when I do get it working, can all text formatting (eg: bold,> > italic, colours, etc) work with the caption parameter?> >> > Ta, Ray> >> Enter this command in irb:>> irb -r RMagick> puts Magick::Long_version>> The doc on the "caption" builtin format[1] says that you can use these> options with caption:>> antialias> background_color> border_color> density> fill> font> gravity> pointsize>> font_style and font_weight aren't on the list, so you can't specify> italic or bold with caption. You could specify a bold or italic font by> name instead. (This is a limitation of ImageMagick, not RMagick.) To> specify those kinds of attributes you're going to have to use the> Draw#text method[2] or RVG::Text[3] or the Draw#annotate method[4]. The> annotate method will handle strings with embedded newlines, the other> two don't.>> Keep in mind that ImageMagick will not alter a font (the way Windows> slants a font to fake italics, for example) to match the attributes you> specify. It simply searches its list of fonts (which may not include all> the fonts you have on your system) to find the closest match and uses> that. If you ask for a bold Arial and it doesn't have Arial Bold on its> list, it'll just give you Arial. If you absolutely need a certain  font,> the best thing to do is to specify the full path to the font. Anthony> Thyssen has a great set of ImageMagick examples, including one about> fonts[5]. The examples use the ImageMagick commands but it's not hard to> map them into the RMagick API. (If you do need help translating the> commands into RMagick send me an email and I'll see what I can do.)>> [1]http://www.simplesystems.org/RMagick/doc/imusage.html#builtin_formats> [2]http://www.simplesystems.org/RMagick/doc/draw.html#text> [3]http://www.simplesystems.org/RMagick/doc/rvgtext.html> [4]http://www.simplesystems.org/RMagick/doc/draw.html#annotate> [5]http://www.cit.gu.edu.au/~anthony/graphics/imagick6/text/>>

--Alex Combashttp://noodlejunkie.blogspot.com/