On Saturday 18 March 2006 03:21 pm, Guillaume Marcais wrote:
> I have some code that do kind of what you are describing. But I have to
> admit that lately, when I run a daemon/service on my Linux box, I am
> incline to manage it with something like runit
> (http://smarden.sunsite.dk/runit/). I find it easier than to manage
> than the SysV services.

Thanks to all who replied!

I'm enough of a newbie that it will take me a little while to sort through
these responses--when I'm ready, I'll ask the next question (because I'm sure
there will be one ;-)

Randy Kramer

Aside: Someone else suggested using a fifo (starting with mkfifo)--I'll need
to do some experimenting with that as well.  I suspect it won't give all the
functionality I thought I wanted, but it may be a simple approach to get
started.