On 3/19/06, Dae San Hwang <daesan / gmail.com> wrote:> I apologize for the off topic post, but knowing that many ruby> programmers are emacs/PowerBook users, I don't think this is> completely irrelevant..
http://aquamacs.org/
I bind meta to the cmd key, and suck up the unfortunate fact thatcaps-lock is physically where ctrl should be.  The old TiBooks hadswappable keyboards, but those were dumped starting with the AluminumPowerbooks for the ostentatious feature of backlit keys.  Too bad a3rd party market for alternative keyboards didn't happen before; thenagain, too bad the TiBooks stuck with ADB rather than diving into USB(which is also powered).
Apple does LOTS of, imho, stupid things.  (Let's start with no FW800on the MacBook, and Firewire dropped from the Nano and Video iPod... Let's continue with iTunes stopping receiving podcast subscriptionsbecause you haven't listened to them "recently" enough (and nopreference to disable this "feature")...  or what a clusterfuck theQuicktime framework perpetually remains, so that everyone ostensiblyuses VideoLAN...  Oh yeah, and now they're marketing some kind of iPodboombox, instead of... say... an HDTV+DVD ripping Tivo-killer anddedicated QTSS server.  Oh, maybe we can start with something easier,like maturing the Apache and ZeroConf (er, Rendezvous, er, I meanBonjour) integration so that end-users can EASILY publish web content(like sharing files with friends) __over the internet__ in a one-clickmanner; you know, kinda like Cobalt/Sun did with the Qube over adecade ago!
Or, hell, just offer a laptop with more than 2GB of RAM, _please_!
Of course, asking Apple to do better is like asking the Ruby communityto pull EMACS out of its EmacsLisp funk and re-implement a completereplacement written in Ruby instead.  (Because, we all love IRB;RubEMACS is the next logical step.)

my .emacs includes:
;; Make the Cmd key the Meta key(setq mac-command-modifier 'meta)
;; Merge Apple clipboard into Emacs killring(setq x-select-enable-clipboard t)
;; One windowframe only for all buffers(one-buffer-one-frame-mode 0)
;; Disable the toolbar(tool-bar-mode 0)