> I have already built the FOX library from scratch using gcc on cygwin.
>  I still got the same error.
>
> I haven't built FXRuby from scratch, however.  I am using fox-0.99.173
> as I couldn't get the latest (fox-0.99.174) to compile--a reference to
> IMAGE_SUBSYSTEM_WINDOWS_CE_GUI macro was added in 174 in fxutils.cpp
> that was undefined when I tried to build it.
>
> Am I using a version (0.99.173) of fox that is compatible with FXRuby?
>
> I'll try building FXRuby from scratch and see what happens.

Yes, I meant that you'd (possibly) need to compile first FOX, and then
FXRuby (which links in the FOX library). The precompiled "fox.so" that you
can download from the FXRuby home page actually has FOX (libFOX.a)
statically linked into it, such that if you download that file it's all you
need. It is also true that the FOX and FXRuby version numbers *must* match;
FXRuby is neither "forward" or "backwards" compatible with other versions of
FOX.

So... to recap... I think you'll end up needing to do this for your
situation:

 1. Download fox-0.99.173.tar.gz and build this to get libFOX.a.
     I don't think FOX supports building it as a shared library under
     Cygwin, so you might as well configure it with "--disable-shared".

 2. Next download FXRuby-0.99.173.tar.gz and build this. During the
     configuration process ("ruby setup.rb setup") it should detect the
     FOX libraries and header files (from step 1) and verify that they're
     the correct version (0.99.173).

 3. Don't be alarmed at the long, long time it takes to compile
     FXRuby (especially the biggest file, "core_wrap.cpp"). At the end
     of the show you should end up with a "fox.so" file.

 4. Install this extension by typing "ruby setup.rb install".

Hope this helps,

Lyle